We’ve updated our Team Effectiveness survey template!
At Culture Amp, we’re always looking to improve how we help our customers collect accurate and actionable employee feedback. This is why we’re excited to announce that we’ve updated our Team Effectiveness Template!
Here’s what’s new:
- Refined and more statistically robust. Culture Amp conducted a factor analysis and looked at response rates and score distributions on our existing Team Effectiveness items using the responses from over 200 teams. These analysis helped us to clarify key factors of Team Effectiveness and identify the best (and the not so good) performing items for our refined template. After careful review, we’ve also refined the set of outcome questions included in our survey to better capture the indicators of a truly effective team. This refinement process is just part of our standard practice for continuously improving our template questions.
- New inspirations for actions. We have added more than 100 immediately actionable ideas (inspirations) for addressing your specific focus areas. Leveraging the collective intelligence of the 1,700+ organizations that are using the Culture Amp platform, these inspirations reflect what other organizations are currently doing to increase their teams’ effectiveness.
- New partner content. Culture Amp has partnered with subject matter experts and People Geeks from around the world to bring you the most up to date research on what drives team effectiveness. Our team effectiveness inspirations for actions now include content from Atlassian’s ‘Team Playbook’. These are step-by-step guides, based on Atlassian’s new way of working in teams.
- Team Effectiveness Benchmark. We now have a Team Effectiveness global benchmark available for upload. Learn more.
All of these Team Effectiveness updates are automatically available for all Effectiveness and full-platform customers. You can find it now in your template library.
What is Team Effectiveness?
“Businesses are reinventing themselves to operate as networks of teams to keep pace with the challenges of a fluid, unpredictable world” - Deloitte, University Press
In the modern organization, team development is critical to success, yet many companies don’t have the data they need to build productive, collaborative, and successful teams. From the insight we gained working with 1,300+ of the world's most innovative companies, this is the problem we set out to solve.
Our Team Effectiveness survey uses inward feedback to help teams understand how productivity, cohesion, and alignment are driving their overall success.
Team Effectiveness is ideal for organizations that:
- Rely on teams to get work done
- Are committed to team development
- Are keen to take a data driven approach to continuous improvement
- Want to understand the ROI of team development, restructuring and training initiatives
Background to Team Effectiveness
To create our research based Team Effectiveness survey, we extended the field of team-based applied research that was recently concentrated in Google’s project Aristotle, and examined common theoretical models of team effectiveness and development, such as 5 Dysfunctions of a Team and Tuckman's Team Development Theory (see the Science Behind Team Effectiveness).
The Team Effectiveness Factors
The factors in the survey are unique to Culture Amp and represent the behaviors, processes and environmental elements that are the most critical for the modern workplace's high performing teams.
The 35 question survey assesses the following distinct factors:
- Supportive Climate
- Focus and Accountability
- Organizational Alignment
- Communication and Collaboration
- Knowledge and Capability
- Team Processes
- Role Clarity
An Overall Team Effectiveness outcome is also included to assess whether teams believe that they consistently deliver high quality work, foster a sense of pride and create a place where team members believe they belong and can get their best work done.
This factor-based analysis helps leaders and teams of all sizes gain insight into the specific and actionable areas they can focus on in order to improve team stability and performance, as well as compare themselves to similar teams or the organization as a whole.
The Team Effectiveness Survey Process
The Team Effectiveness survey is optimized for a wide range of uses for teams and organizations of various sizes, compositions and settings. It can be run across an entire organization, with a single department, or with a subset of teams and departments.
- The survey is inward focused, meaning that team members review their own team. At survey launch, each team member will receive a unique survey link asking them to provide feedback
- The recommended Team Effectiveness survey cadence is 2-4 times a year, although the survey cadence should take into account the cadence of action and other employee feedback programs
- Like all surveys on the Culture Amp Platform, real-time results are available at the company and team level
From Insight to Action
Easily gather insights about your organization’s team development
The Team Effectiveness diagnostic gives you everything you need to start collecting feedback on team development from day one. If you want to customize, add or remove questions to tailor the survey to your organization, that's easy too.
Analyze and understand your data with intuitive reporting at organization and team levels
Our real-time reporting provides an aggregated perspective across teams and identifies key drivers for overall team effectiveness inside the organization. Each team is also provided with a report that breaks down their specific team’s strengths and opportunities for improvement.
Move from results to action
With this new understanding of Team Effectiveness inside your organization, you can work collaboratively with your teams to identify where you want to focus and what actions to take. See Quick Guide to Taking Action on your Team Effectiveness Results and Ideas for Taking Action on Team Effectiveness.