The file of employee information, whether obtained from Culture Amp or another HR system, may need updates to keep Culture Amp in sync with the current status of employees.
We offer integrations with SFTP, Namely, BambooHR and Workday, or changes can be made using Excel, or any other tool that allows the file to be saved in an XLSX or CSV format. New columns can be added, and existing columns removed, as long as the mandatory columns of Name and Employee Id/Email are retained. Any new columns added are assumed to be new demographics, rather than personal details for the user.
Important Formatting Tips:
- For file uploads, you can include anywhere from a fraction of your employees to everyone in your company directory. A full import will modify every record in your account — employees not present in the file will be marked inactive. A partial import will only update the employees included in your uploaded file — all other employees will remain unchanged and active in Culture Amp. Partial imports are not available for HRIS integrations.
- Field names for personal details must match the template field names (Name, Preferred Name, Email, Employee ID, and if you choose to include: Date of Birth, Start Date, End Date, Language)
- If you plan to create a hierarchy or already have a hierarchy enabled in order to save time with hierarchical report sharing and unlock capabilities like performance cycles and 1-on-1 conversations, then you should assign a manager to your employees, using a unique manager identifier (e.g. Manager Email or Manager ID). Leave manager identifier for your organizational leader blank. If you use our Performance product, then you should choose Manager Email as your manager identifier.
- The date columns for Start Date and Date of Birth must be in an accepted format. We request dates in the format Mmm dd, yyyy (eg Feb 20, 1947), and can accept dates in these additional formats: MMM DD YYYY (eg Feb 20 1947); YYYY-MM-DD (ISO 8601 standard, eg 1947-02-20). Instructions for customizing the date in Excel can be found here: Create a custom date format
- The date columns are used for Age and Tenure calculations, so there's no need to load age and tenure separately
- The Language column is optional, and only used when you have languages other than English configured for your account. This field indicates a person's preferred language and determines in which language they will receive their communications (if applicable). The value entered must be lowercase letters.
- The order of the columns will be reflected in the employee's Demographics page, so grouping similar fields together is advisable (e.g. Division, then Department, then Team).
- Demographic values with the same characters but different capitalisation (e.g. ‘Melbourne’ and ‘melbourne’) will be merged using the first value provided.
- Your file to be uploaded can only have one sheet, e.g. if you used more than one sheet to pull your employee data together with pivot tables, etc, these will need to be removed (or just copy your final data set to a new file)
- The file name can't contain any special characters or punctuation, or you will get an
Invalid data format. Please make sure you have followed the required ordererror.
- The file can't have a password
- The file can't have any hidden columns
- The file header row (first row) can only contain Text characters, no invisible control characters (like Shift-In)
To make changes to user information
- Open the downloaded file of users (you may need to click Enable Editing)
- Add rows for new users, Name and Email column are mandatory, Date of Birth and Start Date are used for Age and Tenure filters
- Insert an End Date for inactive users, if known, or
- If you select a full import format, remove rows for users that need to be made inactive (Culture Amp inserts the date of upload as the End Date for the user)
- Review user's personal details, such as Name, Preferred Name, Email, Date of Birth, Start Date, Locale (preferred language, defaults to English if left blank) and amend if required
- If a hierarchy is enabled, make sure any new employees are assigned a manager using the unique manager identifier you specified.
- Review the user's demographic details (Gender, Location, Department, Team, etc)
- Save the file (there is no need to rename it)
The next step is to upload this file into Culture Amp.
NOTE: The Name column is used in emails to employees from Culture Amp, such as survey invitations, reset password emails, etc. Ensure it contains First Name only, or First Name followed by Last Name. e.g. Jane Smith. Some HR systems may export data Last Name, First Name, e.g. Smith, Jane.
Unique identifiers for users
People can have the same first and last names within an organization, but most systems use an employee number, or employee ID to tell who is who. If your organization uses employee identifiers, these can be included in the file and will load into Culture Amp as the Employee Id field.
If your organization does not currently use a numbering system for employees, then Culture Amp will use a person's email address to uniquely identify them in the system. A consequence of this approach is that when a person's email address is changed using the Import Users process, the system treats this event as a 'new' person being added, and the existing person (with the old email address) being removed. It may be preferable to change email addresses manually (if there's just a few of them) by clicking the user's name in Culture Amp and editing the field directly.