Designing your survey
There are a few key principles behind the design of the Individual Effectiveness survey:
- No ratings or scores: as a tool for development, scores can be counterproductive for an individual's motivation to improve and grow. This also replicates - as close as possible - a real life feedback conversation between colleagues.
- Feedback is forward focused: our questions are designed to help an individual understand the key things they are doing well and should keep doing, and the most important things they should focus on to make themself, their team and organisation more successful.
- Short survey with an emphasis on qualitative feedback: by moving quickly through the survey, individuals can focus instead on providing higher quality reinforcing and corrective feedback on the areas that matter most. For those receiving feedback, they can quickly identify the areas they should focus on without the distraction of scores or being swamped by negative feedback pointing out everything they are doing badly.
- Relevant across roles: the template is designed to be used across most roles, regardless of level or function. The questions are suitable whether someone is a manager, an executive or an individual contributor.
As with all of our surveys, the template can be customized to suit your organization. Before you consider making any changes, please consult our Guide to Individual Effectiveness Survey Design.
Culture Amp's Individual Effectiveness feedback process requires only that Name and Email Address details are supplied and updated for anyone expected to receive, provide and review feedback (no demographics required!). Take a look at Updating the User File for instructions on how to make changes in your account.
TIP: If you generally include only First Names in the Name field of your user file, you'll want to ensure that anyone receiving feedback has this information updated to include their full name (since it is cited in the email communications to Reviewers and Coach, these individuals will need to be clear on who they should be providing feedback for)
Setup and Communication
- Create your survey from the 'Individual Effectiveness' template in your account. See Creating Surveys for instructions.
- Step through and update the Survey Configuration pages, as required (Settings, Administrators and so on).
- In the Design page, you should review Questions and Feedback Review (using the navigation tabs at the top of that page to switch between) in light of the survey design guidance provided in your training.
- Review and Customize each of the Communications templates to suit the needs of your organization. Use these emails to provide the context each individual will need to participate successfully in the process (Employee, Reviewer and Coach).
NOTE: To ensure Reviewers know what to consider when providing individual feedback our Tips For Providing Effective Individual Feedback In A 180° Or 360° Process are linked within your email communications.
Also, our Guide for Coaching in a Feedback Review is linked in all your Coach email communications to ensure everyone performing this role has the guidance they need to support each individual receiving feedback.
Thinking about running an Individual Effectiveness survey at your company? Culture Amp Effectiveness allows employees to easily gather 360 feedback from managers, peers, and reports. Find out more at cultureamp.com/effectiveness.