Designing your survey
There are a few key principles behind the design of the Individual Effectiveness survey:
- No ratings or scores: as a tool for development, scores can be counterproductive for an individual's motivation to improve and grow. This also replicates - as close as possible - a real life feedback conversation between colleagues.
- Feedback is forward focused: our questions are designed to help an individual understand the key things they are doing well and should keep doing, and the most important things they should focus on to make themselves, their team and organization more successful.
- Short survey with an emphasis on qualitative feedback: by moving quickly through the survey, individuals can focus instead on providing higher quality reinforcing and corrective feedback on the areas that matter most. For those receiving feedback, they can quickly identify the areas they should focus on without the distraction of scores or being swamped by negative feedback pointing out everything they are doing badly.
- Relevant across roles: the template is designed to be used across most roles, regardless of level or function. The questions are suitable whether someone is a manager, an executive or an individual contributor.
As with all of our surveys, the template can be customized to suit your organization. Before you consider making any changes, please consult our Guide to Individual Effectiveness Survey Design.
Culture Amp's Individual Effectiveness feedback process requires only that Name and Email Address details are supplied and updated for anyone expected to receive, provide and review feedback (no demographics required!). Take a look at Updating the User File for instructions on how to make changes in your account.
TIP: If you generally include only First Names in the Name field of your user file, you'll want to ensure that anyone receiving feedback has this information updated to include their full name (since it is cited in the email communications to Reviewers and Coach, these individuals will need to be clear on who they should be providing feedback for)
Individual Effectiveness surveys have several 360 specific settings to choose from during setup.
1. Who do you want to start 360s?
Choose Administrators only when you want to have complete control over the process. This suits organisations who want to launch batches 360s in a controlled way.
If your aim is to put the control in the hands of your employees then Employees and Administrators is for you. This lets employees start and launch their own 360s at whatever time and frequency they like or feel comfortable with. Administrators are still able to create and launch 360s at their discretion.
Many customers start with Administrators only. Once they build a culture of feedback they let their employees take more control.
2. Do you want to use coaches?
Coaches support employees through the development process. They help employees reflect on feedback, choose focus and take action. Coaches are often managers, but can also be mentors, HR professionals. Anyone who is able to offer this kind of support.
You can Require coaches at a survey level. If used, coaches must perform certain tasks on a 360 they are coaching:
- Check the feedback given on the 360 and choose when to release (or share) it with the employee
- "Complete" the 360 and lock in the action plan
A coach can also perform other (optional) tasks:
- Check and change reviewers
- Send reminders
If No coaches are used, employees can perform these coaching actions.
If your employees have never done a 360 before, it is very helpful to have a coach to support them through the process, reflect on feedback and choose focus.
Resource: Guide to coaching in a feedback review
3. Feedback reporting
Feedback in reporting is unattributed, but grouped by the type of reviewer (Manager, Coworker, Direct Report).
Show reviewer names lists the names of reviewers who were asked for feedback in each of these groups. This does not show who actually responded, or link any specific feedback to reviewers.
Survey Setup and Communications
- Create your survey from the 'Individual Effectiveness' template in your account. See Creating Surveys for instructions.
- Step through and update the Survey Configuration pages, as required (Settings, Administrators and so on).
- In the Design page, you should review Questions and Feedback Review (using the navigation tabs at the top of that page to switch between) in light of the survey design guidance provided in your training.
- Review and Customize each of the Communications templates to suit the needs of your organization. Use these emails to provide the context each individual will need to participate successfully in the process (Employee, Reviewer and Coach).
NOTE: To ensure Reviewers know what to consider when providing individual feedback our Tips For Providing Effective Individual Feedback In A 180° Or 360° Process are linked within your email communications.
Also, our Guide for Coaching in a Feedback Review is linked in all your Coach email communications to ensure everyone performing this role has the guidance they need to support each individual receiving feedback.
Thinking about running an Individual Effectiveness survey at your company? Culture Amp Effectiveness allows employees to easily gather 360 feedback from managers, peers, and reports. Find out more at cultureamp.com/effectiveness.