Note: In July 2020, Culture Amp released an update to the Culture Amp app for Slack introducing new features. If you already have the app installed, Admins must do a one-time update of the app from within their Culture Amp account settings to receive the new features.
The Culture Amp app for Slack makes it easy to send Culture Amp invitation, reminders, and announcements to your team members.
- Only survey communications will be delivered via both Slack as well as email for any future survey that you launch.
- The Slack messages are translated into all our supported languages and can be customized.
- Employees with an active Culture Amp account, an active Slack account, and matching emails across both these accounts will receive survey invites and reminders via Slack and email.
- Reminders are only sent to people who have not submitted their survey yet.
- Employees that only have an active Culture Amp account (or non-matching emails) will continue to receive the standard email communications that you expect from Culture Amp.
In this article, learn how to:
- Add the Culture Amp app to Slack
- Sync Slack and Culture Amp
- Customize messages and manage which users receive messages
- Update to the latest Culture Amp app
Step 1: Add the Culture Amp app to Slack
NOTE: The Slack integration must be set up by an Account Admin for your Culture Amp account.
To get started, go to Account Admin > Notifications > Add Neko to Slack.
What if I'm not a Slack Admin?
You may need approval from the administrators on your company's Slack account to successfully configure Slack integration. If you are unsure whether or not you need approval, simply select I don't have admin access/I'm not sure, click on the Next step button, and follow the prompts on the next screen.
Select a role that best describes you
Follow prompts to receive approval for Neko installation.
Configuring Slack Integration if you're a Slack Admin
If you are a Slack administrator, you can add Neko to your account independently. Go to Account Admin > Notifications > Add Neko to Slack.
Upon selecting I’m an administrator on [Your Company's] Slack account and the Add Neko to Slack button, you will be presented with the screen below. Go ahead and authorize the integration!
That's it! Once everything is set up, you'll see a confirmation screen and can even send yourself a test message in Slack to see how Neko will communicate with your employees.
Step 2: Sync Slack and Culture Amp
Once Slack integration has been successfully configured, you will be redirected back to Culture Amp to the Notifications section of Account Admin settings.
🎉 Slack and Culture Amp will now sync automatically. 🎉
When these systems sync, Culture Amp will display the total "matches" found. The Culture Amp platform will attempt to "match" a corresponding Slack user by email address. Users are considered "matched" if an exact match of their email is found in both systems. These "matched" users will be able to receive survey messages via Slack. If a match does not exist, we will flag that employee so you can check their emails in each system and make updates accordingly.
Any users that do not have a successful match will have a warning icon next to their name on the Users page.
NOTE: You will need to manually sync Culture Amp and this integration in the future as new employees join your company. To manually initiate a sync between the two systems, simply to go to Account Admin > Notifications > Resync users.
Step 3: Manage + Customize Messages
Manage who receives messages
Once the Neko by Culture Amp integration is enabled on your account, survey communications will be delivered via both Slack as well as email for any future survey that you launch. You can view the default Slack messages or you can customize them.
If you wish, you can deactivate Slack communications on individual surveys. To do so, simply:
- Navigate to a survey in Draft mode.
- Open the Settings tab.
- Scroll down and select Turn Slack notifications off
There is also a Disable Slack for this survey link to remove Slack on the Communications page for a survey.
NOTE: By default, Slack Notifications for Performance are disabled. If you have previously requested for these notifications to be enabled and you want to re-disable Slack Notifications for Performance, please contact your Customer Success coach or the support team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
TIP: You can customize messages for survey invites and reminders for all Engagement, Lifecycle, and Effectiveness surveys. To get started, click on the Surveys tab and select the survey you want to customize, then go to Survey Launch > Communications > Customize Slack messages.
Update to the latest Culture Amp app for Slack
Users will still receive notifications without updating their apps, but we recommend you update the app as soon as possible to get the latest features now and in the future.
Note: This is a big update packed with cool new features. You should only need to do this once and all future updates will roll through without you having to lift a finger.
For existing customers who already have the Slack app installed, there are two ways to update the app for your organization, either from within Culture Amp or from with Slack.
- From Culture Amp, delete and reinstall the app via the account main page
- From Slack, select the one-click update option to install the latest version of the app
To delete and reinstall the app from within Culture Amp
- To get started, go to Account Admin > Notifications > Remove Slack
- Add the Slack app by selecting Add Neko to Slack
- Follow the install process
To select the one-click update from with Slack
- From Slack app settings, click the one-click update link to install the latest version of the app
- Select Allow to complete the update
The Culture Amp app for Slack is a bot, which means it has a special permission scope called 'bot'.
The list of allowed operations of a bot is listed in the "Limitation" section of this doc https://api.slack.com/bot-users.
Out of all those permissions, we use only 3 of them.
users.list to get a list of users that matches employees in our system.
im.open to open a direct communication channel between our bot and the user.
chat.postMessage to send a direct message