"Perceptions of learning and development opportunities and confidence in leaders have the greatest impact on employee engagement."
The Global Employee Engagement benchmark includes data from all companies using the Culture Amp platform that sought employee engagement related feedback from employees in 2018. This is a highly robust and reliable benchmark providing a useful representation of employee experience across industries, geographies and functions.
Anatomy of the benchmark:
- 80% average response rate across all companies
- Bottom quartile (25th percentile) was 72% participation
- Top quartile (75th percentile) was 92% participation
- Median head count of companies in benchmark was 208 employees
- Bottom quartile (25th percentile) was 98 employees
- Top quartile (75th percentile) was 572 employees
- Computer Software
- Information Technology and Services
- Financial Services
- Marketing and Advertising
- Hospital & Health Care
- Nonprofit Organization Management
- Apparel & Fashion
- Real Estate
- Health, Wellness and Fitness
- Online Media
- Education Management
- Food & Beverages
- Higher Education
- Renewables & Environment
- Computer Games
- Leisure, Travel & Tourism
- Management Consulting
- Consumer Goods
- Medical Devices
Distribution by sub-region:
- North America: 51%
- Oceania: 24%
- Europe: 13%
- Asia: 6%
- Middle East and Africa: 2%
We have connected the employee feedback data with ratings for each company included in the benchmark to provide the below insights.
- 3.7/5 stars average overall company rating
- 63% average CEO approval
- 69% average recommend to friend
Key Insights and Data for the People Geeks!
How engaged are employees in All Industries (Global)?
Insight: Employees in All Industries (Global) tend to be more engaged than employees in other regions. Higher engagement scores across All Industries (Global) are primarily a function of greater intention to remain at the organization over the longer-term.
All Industries (Global) employee engagement scores by percentile
If you are interested in the spread of employee engagement ratings, below are the engagement scores by percentile.
|Bottom quartile (25th percentile)||62%|
|Median (50th percentile)||70%|
|Top quartile (75th percentile)||78%|
What has the biggest impact on employee engagement in All Industries (Global)?
Insight: Learning and development and leadership communicating a motivating vision have the largest impact on employee engagement.
Questions included and excluded:
Diversity and Inclusion questions included: The following questions were able to be included because we received sufficient amounts of responses for this benchmark cut.
- I am satisfied with how decisions are made at %ACCOUNT_NAME%
- I feel like I belong at %ACCOUNT_NAME%
- Even when something bad happens (e.g., when I get critical feedback from my manager, I have a negative social interaction with a peer, etc.), I donít question whether or not I belong at %ACCOUNT_NAME%
- I feel respected at %ACCOUNT_NAME%
- When I speak up, my opinion is valued
- %ACCOUNT_NAME% believes that people can always greatly improve their talents and abilities
- I can voice a contrary opinion without fear of negative consequences
- Perspectives like mine are included in the decision making at %ACCOUNT_NAME%
- I understand how my work contributes to %ACCOUNT_NAME%ís mission
- I am included in decisions that affect my work
- Administrative tasks that don't have a specific owner (e.g., taking notes in meetings, scheduling events, cleaning up shared space) are fairly divided at %ACCOUNT_NAME%
- I believe that my total compensation (base salary+any bonuses+benefits+equity) is fair, relative to similar roles at %ACCOUNT_NAME%
- %ACCOUNT_NAME% values diversity
- I can be my authentic self at work
- The work that we do at %ACCOUNT_NAME% is important
- People from all backgrounds have equal opportunities to succeed at %ACCOUNT_NAME%
- When there are career opportunities at %ACCOUNT_NAME%, I am aware of them
- %ACCOUNT_NAME% enables me to balance work and personal life
- I know where to find information to do my job well
- %ACCOUNT_NAME% builds teams that are diverse
Gain a deeper understanding of what makes our benchmarks special and learn more about how we calculate our benchmarks here.