Self-reflection is a core step in an employee's performance experience. Employees reflect on their achievements, learnings, and areas for growth during the review period. This component ensures the employee’s voice is heard and can increase how satisfied the employee is with the process. You may find self-reflections valuable for your organization in the following ways:
- As a component of the performance review cycle
- As a stand-alone development cycle, such as a quarterly cadence
- As a frequent check-in, like a monthly 1:1 or a 30/60/90 day check-in
In this article, learn how to create and manage a self-reflection cycle for your organization.
Step 1: Create your self-reflection
- Name the cycle
- Set a start date when the cycle should go live
- Set an end date
- Set the communicated closure date
- Select your timezone
TIP: If you include self-reflection in the performance review cycle, run the self-reflection cycle prior to performance review so that self-reflection shows up in the dossier when the manager goes to complete the review.
Step 2: Configure Questions
- Use the default questions or customize them. You have the ability to reorder questions, change or delete questions, or add your own.
- Choose to enable and configure manager prompts. These prompts guide managers on what's expected of them when digesting their employee's self-reflection.
TIP: Keep in mind that the self-reflection process is distinct from the manager review. The manager prompts should only prompt the manager to acknowledge their direct report’s self-reflection, rather than adding their own feedback.
Step 3: Preview
Click Next to see a preview from both the employee and manager view.
Step 4: Assign employees
- Click Next to select employees who will be participating in the cycle. You can either select all employees or filter to select specific departments/managers. If for example, departments require different questions, this will give you the option of launching a self-reflection for one department and then creating another self-reflection to be launched to other departments in the same time period.
- Finally, click Finish. At this point, you’ll still have the opportunity to edit the self-reflection if the start date is in the future. It will automatically launch on your configured start date.
Q: Can I add users after I launch the self-reflection cycle.
A: Yes, new users can be added after
Q: Can an employee submit their self-reflection after the end day?
A: Yes, the end day is considered a soft close. Employees can submit up until you manually close the cycle.
Q: Can an employee edit after they submit?
A: No, employees are not able to edit their self-reflections after they submit them. However, as an administrator, you can contact our support team to re-open the self-reflection for the employee.